· HAPPY NEW YEAR! It is our prayer that 1993 will be a good, happy year for you and yours.
· "To sit by in silence when they should protest is what makes cowards out of men." – Abraham Lincoln. Does that describe you, my brother or sister? Are you sitting by in silence when you should be protesting and opposing? Rev. 21:8 plainly says that "the cowardly..." will have their part in the lake of fire. Courage is a needed quality in our day and it is in short supply even among God's people. There is no "fight" left in many saints, if they ever had any at all. Christians should be always at "war" with evil and error. It appears that most saints don't oppose anything save, perhaps, those who do openly oppose sin and error!
· There is no word in the Greek New Testament that is the equivalent of the English word church! Unger's Bible Dictionary says: "The word ekklesia is employed of any assembly, and the word in the Greek language implies no more." "Church" is not a word that translates any word in the Greek text of the Scripture. As a matter of fact the English word "church" should NOT be in the Scripture at all. It is there only because King James ORDERED it put there in every place where the Greek word ekklesia appears, save in three instances in Acts 19:32, 39, 41, where it is properly translated as "assembly", which is all that the word ekklesia means! There is no CHURCH in God's word and the word "church" should NOT be there. Jesus did not build a church, but He did (and does) "build" His assembly or congregation of redeemed ones, the saved.
· GREATNESS -- Gathered at the Passover feast, the disciples were keenly aware that someone needed to wash the other's feet. The problem was that the only people who washed feet were the least. So there they sat, feet caked with dirt. It was such a sore point that they were not even going to talk about it. No one wanted to be considered the least. Then Jesus took a towel and a basin and redefined greatness.
-R. C. Foster
· With this issue we enter a New Year – 1993!
What does 1993 hold for us? None of us know and we should be thankful that we don't know the future because if we did it might add a weight and fear that we could not handle. Would you like to know in advance that you will die or be killed in 1993? That you will lose a child or mate in 1993? That you will be struck down with some sickness or an accident? I am glad that God shields us from the future and allows us to live one day at a time.
None of us can know what tomorrow will bring to us, good or bad. Hence, let's live one day at a time and not "borrow trouble" from tomorrow.
· SUCCESS – To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. – Emerson
· SEEDS OF TYRANNY – Our reliance is in love of liberty which God has planted in us. Our defense is in the spirit which primed liberty as the heritage of all men, in all lands everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism at your door. Familiarize yourselves with the chains of bondage and you prepare your own limbs to wear them.
Accustomed to trample on the rights of others, you have lost the genius of your own independence and become the fit subjects of the first cunning tyrant who rise among you.
- Abraham Lincoln
A BETTER WAY
A badger met a skunk one day
Who wouldn't share the right of way,
And raised his battle flag and said,
"If you want trouble just come ahead."
The badger said, "You little squirt,
You're a stinker – mean as dirt,
But since you've got so much B. O.
I'll step aside and let you go."
The moral that's in this episode
Can serve you well along life's road
Stay clear of all that could defile
Though it makes you walk an extra mile.