· "Few are willing to brave the disapproval of their fellows, the censure of their colleagues, the wrath of their society. Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world that yields most painfully to change." Robert F. Kennedy
· "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try." --Beverly Sills
· AIDS COLONY. The world's first AIDS colony has been established on the island of Adelso, near Stockholm, Sweden. In order to keep the AIDS patients from infecting others, these men and women will be confined in an "escape-proof" compound behind three-meter thick walls patrolled by armed guards. The island is accessible only by ferry. It is built by Stockholm's County Health Authority, and the doctor in charge says that efforts will be made to get homosexuals and intravenous drug users to change their ways. Since 1985 Swedish law has stipulated that people infected with the AIDS virus who are likely to infect others must be detained and prostitutes and drug addicts who react positive to AIDS tests are deprived of their liberty by court order. (Source: The Ann Watson Report) The Witness
· "Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune." Nicholas Ling
· "We have actually convinced ourselves that slogans will save us. Shoot up if you must, but use a clean needle. Enjoy sex whenever and with whomever you wish, but wear a condom. No. The answer is no. Not because it isn't cool or smart or because you might end up in jail or dying in an AIDS ward, but no because it's wrong, because we have spent 5,000 years as a race of rational human beings, trying to drag ourselves out of the primeval slime by searching for truth and moral absolutes. In its purest form, truth is not a polite tap on the shoulder. It is a howling reproach. What Moses brought down from Mount Sinai were not the Ten Suggestions." Ted Koppel
· DEAR ABBY COLUMN
DEAR READERS: Did you know that...
--The number of people who die from cigarette smoking every day in this country is equivalent to two full jumbo jets crashing with no survivors?
--The cigarette industry needs to recruit 1,000 new smokers each day to replace the 1,000 who die from smoking each day?
--The cigarette industry spends $7 million in advertising per day?
--2,400 non-smokers die in the United States each year from involuntary smoke?
--There are more deaths from smoking each year in the United States than there is from AIDS, heroin, crack, cocaine, alcohol, fire, murders and car accidents COMBINED?
It's true. - ABBY
· "The Examiner' is sent without cost or obligation to any Christian who wants to receive it. The target audience for this journal is "the people in the pews," the non-clergy, non-preacher types. If you desire to receive it, you must return the enclosed card with your name and complete address. The card requires a 14¢ stamp. Return it today!
· PLEASE NOTE. The views expressed in this paper by any writer are his/her own and not necessarily those of the editor or any other writer.
· NO SUBSTITUTE. Sen. Ed. Kennedy and a host of humanists seek to bring into force a sweeping new "child development" program, designed to eventually include all children. In many respects the measure threatens to destroy parental authority and the institution of the family. The Seattle Times says, "It is the boldest and most far-reaching scheme ever advanced for the Sovietization of American Youth." Dr. Jack Raskin, director of the Children"s Orthopedic Hospital psychiatry service in Seattle says, "The lack of a mother's love, warmth and attention in a child's early months and years results in the severest kinds of emotional trouble later. There is no substitute," he pointed out, "for a mother's presence. The best daycare center in the world cannot begin to compete in this regard," (Source: Pro-Family Forum, 735 Belair Ave., Lakeland, FL)
· "In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Gandhi
· "Of what avail is an open eye, if the heart is blind? - Solomon -Ibn - Gabirol