· Happy New Year! Our prayer is for God's blessings upon each of you for 1988, along with the acceptance of His guidance through His word. The assurance of real joy for the new year is to seek His will and do it. "Fear God and keep His commandments for this is the whole duty of man."
· The Answer is the name of a small, new paper edited by Bob West. It "is published ever so often by a few concerned Christians," to quote from the paper. Subscription is free, "yours for the asking." The main thrust of the paper is to deal with the increasing threat of "secular humanism" in all its forms, both in and out of the ekklesia of God. Three issues have been printed. It is worthy of your study. Bob is an able writer and teacher. Address: P.O. Box 1710, Brevard, NC 28712.
· Our permanent mailing list, composed of those who have requested that The Examiner continue coming to them, is rapidly building up. We are pleased and thankful to find so many disciples of Jesus who are concerned, open and seeking God's will. Being on the permanent list does not mean that you agree with everything presented in the paper, but only that you have an honest and good heart and are willing to examine carefully all of these vital matters, searching the Scriptures to see if they are true. We do not ask for anything more than a fair hearing. You are urged to join our select group. Send in your request card for the paper to continue. Do it now! "Come let us reason together" as we seek for the truth that is able to make -- and keep -- us free.
· Please continue to send the names and addresses of other Christians to whom we can send this paper for a trial period. Send one, a dozen, or hundreds. Let's offer to every disciple the choice of deciding if he/she wants to study God's word with us by The Examiner. Some will, some won't. Let each one decide for herself/himself. Thanks.
· An Observation. It has been observed that the average church member has heard 4,000 sermons, 8,000 congregational prayers, 20,000 public songs, and saved 0 sinners! -- Charles Hodge
That pretty well describes the situation. Seeking the lost is something the members only sing about as they sit on comfortable pews in their nice, commodious church building at the appointed times to go through the religious rituals -- Church of Christ traditions. Today's Church turns perhaps 95% of its effort, time, interest, and money upon themselves. The lost can just go on to hell. Who really cares? It has been a long time since I have heard of a church with a "personal work" program of reaching the lost. Little to nothing is being done along this line it appears. Church members generally are too much in love with the things of this world, material evidences of the good life, and they like to see evidences of all this in their religion. Hence, bigger, more elaborate church buildings, Sunday School facilities, Family Life Centers, recreation places, hiring more and more professional staff, Pulpit Minister, Youth Minister, Hospital Minister, Music Minister -- imagine a large group of saints hiring someone, putting this person on the payroll of the corporate church, to merely lead the public singing! It is a reflection upon everyone. The saints who care should examine what the real or underlying reason is for this, as well as the need for other hired professionals! It is all for themselves while practically nothing is done to preach the gospel to the lost world.
Dallas/Fort Worth Area Readers
Several hundred saints in this area have been added to our mailing list to receive this issue. We have been provided an address label for each person. If your mailing address label has a 008 or 006 in the right hand corner, then you are on this special list. This may be the only copy of this paper you will receive unless you return the enclosed card requesting it to continue. We hope that you will want the paper to study the vital matters discussed herein that should be of serious concern to every Christian. Hundreds of saints in your area have already joined our list of readers and we hope you will also. In any case, we pray God's blessings upon you. -- CAH.