· Fourth Printing: The Role of Elders in the New Testament Church, by Waymon D. Miller. This is a book that deserves to be studied by every serious student concerned with truth on the subject. Get a copy for your use. It sells for $5.95 plus $1 for mailing. Order from: Plaza Press, P.O. Box 35024, Tulsa, OK 74153.
· Tillet S. Teddlie, Gunter, TX, one of our great song writers, celebrated his 102nd birthday in June. We owe him a debt of gratitude we can never repay for all the wonderful songs he has given to us. God bless him.
· Recommendation: Mentioning Tillet Teddlie above reminds me to recommend the Happy Days Quartet cassette tape -"Heaven Holds All" - Salutes Tillet S. Teddlie. In honor of Ira North this excellent quartet sometime ago released a new 23-song, 50-minute audio cassette tape of Brother Teddlie's songs. It is excellent. Nick Boone sings the lead and the tape was prepared by Ray Walker. Walker says:" 'Heaven Holds All' is the best tape of an a capella quartet I have ever heard." The songs are great and the quartet is excellent. You would enjoy it. All proceeds from the sale of the tape will be given to projects Ira North personally initiated.
They have another tape I strongly recommend: "Home Before Dark" You will like it. Each tape is $10 postage paid. Send to: Ray Wilson, Happy Days Quartet, 416 N. Kemper Drive, Madison, TN 37115. (Please tell Brother Wilson you read about the tapes here.)
· Updated Information on Church of Christ Churches Growth
The June 87 Christian Chronicle provides new information about the growth of "U.S. churches of Christ;' as they put it with the small "c." One of our experts in this field claims that these churches "have grown about three percent since 1980." The data gathered "shows 1.275 million members in 13,363 congregations in the United States." Since the 1980 count was made, seven states lost members: Indiana, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio and Vermont. "The states showing the highest increase in members were Texas, California, Kansas, Georgia, Massachusetts, Florida and Maryland." Texas has the largest number of congregations (2,325, with 290,039 members). Tennessee comes in second with 1,467 congregations and 174,205 members. Then follows Alabama, Oklahoma, California and Arkansas. MacLynn, Church Directory Editor, says that "Churches of Christ remain stronger in the South than elsewhere in the nation. Yet even there the church's growth rate is being outpaced by the general population growth."
The Christian Chronicle has as its purpose "to tell good news about churches of Christ around the world and to support the evangelism of the entire world." It is published monthly by Oklahoma Christian College, Box 11000, Oklahoma City, OK 73136-1100. This paper should be of interest to all Christians. The subscription is "a one-time enrollment fee of $5 per address," and you can't beat that price! Enroll to receive it. It is worth reading.
· American Catholic Laity are arousing themselves, so the NBC News reporter said. "They are no longer willing simply to pray, obey and pay." There is no freedom of thought or freedom of speech granted to them. The Church claims the right to speak for them and to tell them what is right and what is wrong. They are growing tired of the dictatorial control of the Church/Clergy. As the newscaster put it: "They want the principles of their democracy to apply to their religion as well." And so it should be, even with the Church of Christ members.
· Quotable Quotes: "It is morally dishonest and intellectually shallow for us to blame anybody but ourselves for the responsibility of our choices." - Ray L. Colvard, The Freeman.
"To every people there comes one terrible and inevitable final hour, when it must chose between those things by which men live, or those by which they die." - Taylor Caldwell, The Final Hour.
About one in every five babies born in this country is illegitimate. - Parade Magazine. Out of wedlock births to teenage girls has increased 800 percent since 1940. - Review of the News.
· Our Commission: "Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of His might. Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places" (Eph. 6:10-12). Have you, my brother or sister, really done what we are here told to do as our duty to God? Have you put on the full armor of God; that is, the "armor" He has provided for us so we can stand firm against the schemes of the devil, both in the world and in the church? Are you actively involved in "our struggle...against...the world forces of this darkness [and] against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places?"